No: (IUL)38-FA/25/2023/1, Date: March 25th, 2023
PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION 2023
ANNOUNCEMENT FOR INTERNATIONAL OBSERVERS AND MONITORS TO OBSERVE/MONITOR THE ELECTORAL PROCESS OF THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION OF THE MALDIVES
The Elections Commission of Maldives opens applications for the interested International Associations, Societies, and Foreign Persons to observe and monitor the electoral process of the Presidential Election of Maldives scheduled for September 09th, 2023.
Applications are accepted from March 25th to July 25th, 2023.
THE CRITERIA FOR INTERNATIONAL OBSERVERS AND MONITORS ARE AS FOLLOWS;
- Should be 18 years of age.
- Representatives of International Associations and Societies related to electoral activities accredited by the Associations they belong to.
- Applicants should not to be involved in campaigning for any candidate or political party to win support for any such activity in that manner.
- International observers and monitors for the Presidential Election should act in accordance with Section 40 and 41 respectively of the Constitutional Act, 11/2008 Elections (General) Act as well as adhere to the Code of Conduct as stipulated in the Regulations for Presidential Election 2023.
All accredited observers and monitors will be duly contacted for logistics arrangements.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE FOR THE INTERNATIONAL OBSERVERS AND MONITORS;
- Details on the form needs to be entered as in the applicant’s passport.
- Attachments required to submit with the application form should meet the following criteria and should not exceed 10MB in file size.
- Color scan of passport which has at least 6 months of validity (in pdf format).
- A recent passport size picture which has been taken not more than three months ago. (In JPEG format, with resolution not lesser than 600dpi).
- A signed and scanned copy of ‘Presidential Election, Observer/ Monitor Declaration’ (downloadable copy will be available on the announcement/ application page), (in pdf format).
- A letter of accreditation from the institution he/she is representing. This letter should include the applicant’s full name, passport number and designation. The letter should be in the official letterhead of the representing institution and should bear the official stamp as well.
- All the documents are to be submitted via email to [email protected].
- The application form is to be rejected if the form is incomplete, incorrect, the declaration is unsigned or any attachment mentioned in this announcement is missing or unattached.
- All the expenses, visas, and insurance from arrival to departure from the Maldives are to be borne by the observer/monitor himself/herself or by the institution he/she is representing.
- The Commission will only facilitate and arrange training/brief sessions mandatory for the accreditation of both international observers and monitors. Upon the accreditation, the Commission will provide observer/monitor passes respectively.
- Observers and monitors who wish to travel across the country are to organize all the logistics and other arrangements by themselves.
- Observers and monitors who wish to meet other stakeholders and political parties are to organize all the meetings, logistical arrangements and other activities by themselves in accordance with the Acts, Regulations, and adhere to the Code of Conduct mentioned.
Application form, Declaration, and Code of Conduct are attached with the announcement and are available from our website.
25 March 2023