Local Councils Election 2017
Announcement for International Monitors
The Local Council Election is scheduled to be held on the 14th of January 2017 and the Elections Commission of Maldives opens applications for interested Media and Media groups to monitor the election process. Applications may be submitted from the 10th of November 2016, Thursday, and the deadline is 24th of November 2016, Thursday. The criteria for international monitors are as follows:
- Should be 18 years of age
- Should not be observing a penalty followed by a court sentence for committing a criminal act.
- A person as to whom the Elections Commission receives assurance that s/he belongs to an international media group.
- Should not be an official who is entrusted by the Election Commission with some duties or tasks of the Local Councils’ Election
International Monitors for the Local Councils’ Election should act in accordance with section 41 of the Constitutional Act, 11/2008 (General Act on Elections) as well as to adhere to the Code of Conduct as stipulated in the Annex 11 of the Regulations for Local Councils’ Election. Accredited monitors will be duly contacted for logistics arrangements after the deadline for applications.
Application procedure for International Monitors
- Applications need to be submitted online at http://forms.elections.gov.mv
- Details on the form needs to entered as in the applicant’s passport
- Attachments required to submit along with the application form must meet the following criterion and should not exceed 1MB in file size
- Colour scan of passport which has atleast 6 months of validity (in pdf format)
- A recent passport size picture which has been taken not more than three months ago. (in JPEG format, with resolution not lesser than 600dpi
- A signed and scanned copy of ‘Local Council Election, Observer/ Monitor Declaration’ (downloadable copy will be available on the announcement / application page), (in pdf format)
- The applicant is also required to attach a letter of accredition from the media group he/she is representing. This letter must include the applicant’s full name, passport number and designation. The letter must be in the official letterhead of the representing media and must bear the official stamp as well.
- The application shall be rejected if the application is incomplete, incorrect information has been provided on the application, or attachments are missing.
Note: applicants are requested to save the auto-generated reference runmber which will be displayed once the application has been submitted. This number may be used to refer to the submitted application form